6.27.2013

It's Only Rock and Roll: 55 Tinta Pilipinas


If you were to get a tattoo, what design would you choose and where would you put it? Whenever this question pops in my head, I always draw a blank. Maybe a line from a song would be nice, but I still wouldn’t know where on my body to put it. I actually admire people who have tattoos because I think to have something that permanent on your body requires commitment, and yes, I also admire them for enduring the pain of having it/them done, which is actually one of the reasons I probably still don’t have one. I’m chicken like that.

In recent years, tattoos have become more mainstream, and I think this is a good thing. Any form of artistic expression, in my book, is a sign of progress. Believe it or not, some people still frown upon body art because they believe that you are “altering God’s creation.” Ohhh-kay.


Recently I hung out with the good folks of 55 Tinta (for those who don’t speak Filipino, tinta means "ink"). They are one of the better-known tattoo shops in Manila, is owned by half of the band Kamikazee, and just recently relocated. When I first entered their shop, I was surprised at how clean and lovely (in a rock-and-roll kind of way) it is. The area is spacious, and inside you will find an artists’ station, a tattooing area, and a reception and waiting area (where they show cool documentaries and play really good music). I was told by one of the owners, Kha Santia, that the reason for the roomy, open layout is because most of the clients often bring a friend or two when getting their tattoos done. Also, it is a place where people can just hang out and meet friends.

Waiting area
Behind the artists' station
In the tattooing area, a series of plaques adorn the upper wall. These are numerous awards won by their artists from Dutdutan, the annual tattoo convention that gathers artists and tattoo aficionados from all over the country and the world. So if you’re wondering if they are any good, they have the titles to answer for it.

Participation plaques and awards for 55 Tinta
55 Tinta has a roster of six artists, each with their own specialty when it comes to tattoo designs. While I was there, three of the artists were present. One of them, Jhay Colis, took up tattooing because he was looking for a different canvas on which to convey his art. Jonathan Sanchez jokingly said that he was born to be nothing but a tattoo artist, and judging from his work, it’s hard not to take his jab seriously. I also spoke to Jason “Puto” Astete, another one of the owners, and was amazed at how passionate he was about their shop. So seldom do you meet people like that, and if I was actually there to get a tattoo, I wouldn’t think twice about it after talking to this man. Although he does not actually tattoo people (he tried but it was not for him), I would surmise that he probably is the heart and soul of the whole operation.
Jonathan doing a sketch for one of his clients.
55 Tinta was established four and a half years ago out of love. “It’s not about making money,” Jason says. “I just want people to know that there is nothing wrong about tattooing, to educate them not to discriminate. That just because a person has a tattoo it does not make them any different. One time a whole family came in the shop to get their tattoos together. It’s really nice to see open-minded people like that.”

L-R Cedric Dumlao, Jhay Colis, Kharen Santia, Jason Astete, Niel Tanaleon, Jonathan Barnachea, Jonathan Sanchez

While there, I was fortunate enough to run into Dong Abay, esteemed Filipino musician and one of their clients. He was going to get his kid’s name tattooed on his lower arm (Awit, Filipino word for “song”). “What’s your reason for getting your son’s name tattooed on your arm?” Jason asked. He answered, “When I’m hard in thought and when I have my head in my hands, the only thing I want to know is my son.”


So if you're interested in getting some ink done, Jason advises to think hard and long about what you want to stamp on your body. And if you've thought hard enough and are 200% sure about your decision, please give the awesome guys of 55 Tinta a visit.

55 Tinta’s Artists:
Dyuntats Depasupil
Jonathan Sanchez
Jhay Colis
Katz Lorenzana
Doi Suason
Neil Tanaleon

55 Tinta is located at 2/F Luisa Building. 107 Maginhawa St., Teacher’s Village, QC. For inquiries, call or text at 09088733871. For more pictures, visit their Instagram account.

Photos by Ron Cruz.
Tattoo photos from 55 Tinta.

4 comments:

  1. love 55tinta. i got my 1st tattoo here c/o jonathan sanchez. great people. i would get my next ink here again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelan ka patattoo feef? Sama ako when you do :)

    ReplyDelete